The FBI is probing the cyberattack that made credit card transactions temporarily impossible and shut down a number of computerised systems at MGM Resorts’ properties on Monday.
“MGM has requested assistance, and we are providing it,” Special Agent Mark Neria of the FBI’s Las Vegas field office told the Las Vegas Review-Journal on Tuesday
The company referred to the problem as a cybersecurity issue when it occurred but did not disclose details.
However, at the MGM Grand on Tuesday morning, about 60 per cent of the slot machines and other computer-based games still appeared to be out of service, as did all ATMs, rewards and sports betting machines, the RJ reported. Video poker machines at the MGM Grand’s bars were working.
At MGM’s New York-New York property, about 20 per cent of slots weren’t working Tuesday morning, but most computer blackjack and craps games.
Check-in lines at both properties on late Tuesday morning were short and manageable, but neither property’s sportsbook was accepting bets, the newspaper said.
MGM’s website was still unavailable as of this writing.
On Monday, MGM told customers seeking hotel reservations to call properties directly because the online reservation system wasn’t working. That was still the case on Tuesday, the RJ reported.
MGM immediately contacted authorities and its cybersecurity vendors and took action to protect its systems and data, including shutting down certain systems, it said.
MGM said Monday its resorts, including dining, entertainment and gaming, were operational, and guests who had been locked out of their rooms had regained access.
The cyberattack affected a number of MGM properties, including the Bellagio in Atlantic City, New Jersey and the MGM Grand Detroit in Michigan.
Source: Fantini’s Gaming Report